Frequently Asked Questions

Am I required to have my voter registration card to vote?

No, you do not need your voter registration card to vote. However, you must provide some form of identification. Acceptable Forms of Identification can be found on the Voter Information page.

How do I register to vote or make a change to my registration in Uvalde County?

Voter registration information can be found on the Voter Information page.

When do I need to register in order to be eligible in time to vote in the next election?

Your voter registration becomes effective 30 days after it is submitted.  In order to be eligible in time to vote in the next election, be sure your application is submitted before the 30-day deadline.

I turn 18 after the voter registration deadline but before Election Day. Can I register and vote in the election?

You can register up to 60 days before you turn 18. You must submit your Voter Registration Application 30 days prior to Election Day.

Can I transfer my voter registration from my old county?

You must complete a new Voter Registration Application each time you move from one county to another.

How do I request a replacement voter registration card?

To request a replacement card, fill out this form, print it, and mail to the Elections Administrator’s office.

Can I vote by mail?

You are eligible to vote early by mail if you are a registered voter who is:

  • 65 years of age or older;
  • Sick or disabled;
  • Out of county during the entire election (must provide out of county address);
  • Or confined in jail, but eligible to vote.

Click here for information on voting by mail.

I live in another county. Can I vote in Uvalde County?

No. You must reside and be registered in Uvalde County in order to vote here.

I live in Uvalde County, but I am registered to vote in another Texas county. Can I vote in Uvalde County?

Yes, if you a have missed the voter registration deadline, you can vote in Uvalde County on a Limited Ballot at the main Early Voting polling location which is the Willie De Leon Civic Center – Cactus Room, 300 E. Main St., Uvalde, TX  78801 and only during the Early Voting period.  Please contact our office regarding applying for a limited ballot.

What is a limited ballot?

A limited ballot is used when someone is currently registered to vote in another Texas county but has moved to another county. A person is allowed to vote in their new county, but is limited to vote only on the candidates/issues that would have also been on their previous county’s ballot. This will cancel your registration in the previous county and registers you in the current county. A limited ballot may only be voted on at the main Early Voting location and during the Early Voting period.

Can I bring my sample ballot to the polls?

Yes, you can bring any material with you, but please remember to take it with you when you leave the voting location.

What is a provisional ballot?

A provisional ballot is used when a person presents themselves for voting but due to circumstances, cannot be quickly verified as a qualified voter or cannot present an acceptable form of identification but does possess one. It allows the person to vote and gives the Voter Registration office time after the election to verify if the person is eligible to vote or allow the voter to present acceptable identification to the Voter Registration office. If they are not eligible to vote, it will register them as a voter, and they will be ready for the next election.

Will my vote count if I vote a provisional ballot?

That will be determined by the Early Voting Ballot Board (EVBB). After the election, the information from the Provisional Voter Affidavit will be looked up by the Voter Registration Office. Depending on 1) the reason you voted by provisional ballot and 2) the outcome of the research by the Voter Registration office, the EVBB will make the decision to count the vote or not. Regardless of the outcome, you will be notified by mail.


Additional FAQs, provided by the Secretary of State’s office can be found here.

Still not finding the answer to your question? This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Candidate/Officeholder Information

Are you interested in running for public office?

We suggest you read the First Steps for Candidates from the Texas Ethics Commission.

* You must first file an appointment of campaign treasurer

Judicial Candidates Form

Non-Judicial Candidates Form

You may also wish to complete a Code of Fair Campaign Practices form.

Please contact the Texas Ethics Commission to determine who the filing authority is for the office for which you intend to run.

* An application for a place on the ballot must be filed with the party of your choice. Information on deadlines and fees for filing can be found here.

* Candidates and officeholders are required to file Campaign Finance Reports on a certain filing schedule. Please contact the Texas Ethics Commission to determine who the filing authority is for the office you hold or intend to run.

* For further information, please contact your local political party:

Uvalde County Democratic Party


Phone #


Uvalde County Republican Party


Phone #

The following links are helpful resources for candidates as well as officeholders:


Voter Information




*   Do you need to register to vote? Have you changed your name or moved?

Register to vote or change your address (if moved from outside county) here.

Change your name or address (if moved within the county) here.

If you need a replacement voter certificate, please fill out this form and mail to our office.

 Check your registration status, precinct, or polling place.

If you would like to see a sample ballot for your precinct, please check the Elections Information page.

*   If you would like to apply for a Ballot By Mail, please fill out this form and mail to our office. (Instructions for filling out the Application for Ballot By Mail can be found here)

*   For more information, please see our Frequently Asked Questions page.



Information regarding the Voter ID law:

Senate Bill 5, passed by the 85th Legislature, Regular Session, requires voters who possess an acceptable form of photo identification for voting listed below to present that identification in order to vote in person in all Texas elections. For voters aged 18-69, the acceptable form of photo identification may be expired no more than four years before being presented for voter qualification at the polling place. For voters aged 70 or older, the acceptable form of photo identification may be expired for any length of time if the identification is otherwise valid. 

Acceptable forms of photo ID when voting in person:

  • Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
  • Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
  • Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
  • Texas Handgun License issued by DPS
  • United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
  • United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
  • United States passport (book or card)  

Election Identification Certificates are available from DPS driver license offices during regular business hours. 


Voters who do not possess an acceptable form of photo identification and cannot reasonably obtain one of the forms of acceptable photo identification listed above may present a supporting form of identification and execute a Reasonable Impediment Declaration, noting the voter’s reasonable impediment to obtaining an acceptable form of photo identification, stating that the information contained in the declaration is true, that the voter is the same individual personally appearing at the polling place to sign the declaration, and that the voter faces a reasonable impediment to procuring an acceptable form of photo identification.


Acceptable forms of supplemental identification:

  • A government document that shows your name and an
    address, including your voter registration certificate;
  • Current utility bill;
  • Bank statement;
  • Government check;
  • Paycheck; or
  • (a) A certified domestic (from a U.S. state or territory)
    birth certificate or (b) a document confirming birth
    admissible in a court of law which establishes your identity
    (which may include a foreign birth document).

After presenting a supporting form of ID, the voter may vote a regular ballot as long as the voter is registered in Uvalde County.